By: Kyle T. Panter, PharmD
Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 and is essential for your skin’s health. While it sounds like niacin, it is a different form of B3 altogether. Niacinamide’s skin benefits include:
- Treats acne: Niacinamide reduces the amount of sebum (or oil) produced by the skin. This helps prevent clogged pores which leads to pustule formation. Niacinamide naturally dries oily skin, much like commercial medications, but is not as harsh on the skin.
- Protects against sun damage: Niacinamide is an antioxidant and works to protect the skin from harmful UV-A and UV-B sunlight radiation along with chemical pollutants and toxins.
- Treats darkened skin areas: Niacinamide naturally lightens areas of skin that are darker than others. This effect doesn’t happen overnight, but over several weeks of therapy.
- Increases collagen production: Niacinamide increases collagen formation and therefore lessens the sight of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Decreases skin inflammation: Niacinamide has a potent anti-inflammatory effect on the skin and is useful for minimizing redness and blotchiness caused by acne, psoriasis, eczema, and other skin conditions.
Innovative Pharmacy can compound specialized formulations containing niacinamide at the direction of your physician to help treat many skin conditions. Talk to your doctor or provider, or contact one of our pharmacists to learn more.